[Noisebridge-discuss] creating a circuit board

Jake jake at spaz.org
Thu Jul 12 20:02:49 UTC 2012

fuck eagle!  didn't you hear Richard Stallman's talk?  Why would you use a
payware software that is closed source?  You are not even being allowed
the freedom to know what instructions you're putting on your computer.

And if a friend asks you for a copy, you have to either tell them no,
which is a terrible thing to do, or give them an illegal copy, which is
also a bad choice.

The right thing to do is to use KiCAD or gEDA, both of which are free
software, free as in speech AND free as in beer.

I have been using KiCAD, and after a really frustrating learning period (i
have used McCAD and PCAD before) I have finally figured out how it works,
and i can say I am pleased with it.  It still is frustrating at times but
the worst is over, and overall I don't think it's worse than any other
program.  I have never been able to operate Eagle, maybe i'm dumb.

One thing I like about KiCAD is that it uses the keyboard a lot.  i
dislike having to use the mouse for things that could be done with the
keyboard.  You still CAN use the mouse for everything, but you don't have
to.

I will be working on a circuitboard almost every time i come to
noisebridge from now on.  That will usually be monday nights and tuesday
all day, and sometimes wednesday.  I invite you to see how i do it.

Also you can ask Hao who has been working on the robot, he is good with
KiCAD.

-jake

Nicholas Granado wrote:
is there a class given at noisebridge on using eagle and making circuit
boards?

nick