[Noisebridge-discuss] Moving to Lebanon

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 17:00:44 UTC 2012

On Jul 18, 2012, at 1:39, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:

> Some of the reviews are pretty positive, but there are a lot of people
> unhappy with the limitations.  I guess it works in some situations, not
> in others.  Per app, maybe?

What I know is:
There has been an API since iPad 1 that allows an app to explicitly display arbitrary data on the external display. On iPad 1, that was the only option. If an app didn't use that API, you got no output.

Apps like Keynote explicitly choose to display, for example, the slides on the external display and the notes on the iPad display. I remember one web browser specifically advertised that it would show your browsing on the external display - Safari did not do that on the iPad 1.

On the iPad 2, the HDMI cable allowed full mirroring of the built-in display. Any app would work with that. If an app started explicitly displaying data, then that would replace the mirrored data. People have reported that the VGA cable also does full mirroring, though Apple doesn't mention it specifically.

Lots of people with the iPad 1 were unhappy with the lack of mirroring since not that many apps explicitly did it.

Thanks,

gopi at iPad