[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: [AMTD] Notes from today's hackerspace panel

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 23:40:44 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> wrote:

> Super interesting, if brief, notes on hackerspaces, problems and
> solutions.  My take is that NB suffers a bit from problem 5,

Slight understatement there.
Wait, that's an understatement too...
MAJOR understatement there!

> and is
> susceptible to 1 and 2, but has managed to avoid the rest.

2 (Clubhouse/Partying) definitely.

I think for the most part NB does NOT suffer from 1 (We Don't Do That Here)
which is its greatest strength - the diversity of projects and kinds of
work people do in that space. I have experienced this "creative
cross-pollinization" myself: I began w/ an interest in zine & publishing
work, but have since then taken part in Circuit Hacking Monday to fix the
hardware of my old laptop & make it work again, because I needed to fix it
& there was a supportive environment w/ mentors at hand to learn from; I've
even gotten my hands dirty in the Dirty Shop a couple times lately, forging
homemade lock picks etc. Although I guess Tastebridge does seem to have
been shut down, and the lockpicking group disappeared, so maybe I'm wrong &
NB does suffer from We Don't Do That Here Syndrome. Some of that, though,
when projects dry up is due to people moving on to other things & leaving a
void in the space, with other artists of the same mold not readily
available to replace them. Also, there were legitimate complaints
surrounding Tastebridge & some of its hangers-on, as we all fondly recall,
I'm sure.

xo

Yr friendly neighborhood Tiger