[Noisebridge-discuss] thinksafe - a magnetic power connector for thinkpads

Jake jake at spaz.org
Wed Jun 6 04:42:10 UTC 2012

http://www.instructables.com/id/ThinkSafe%3A-A-Magnetic-Power-Connector-for-Thinkpad/

thinksafe - a magnetic power connector for thinkpads

"My Thinkpad's power connection started getting flaky, so I made a
magnetic connector that works just like Apple's MagSafe connectors. It's
effective, cool-looking, and breaks away cleanly when kicked. I used
common materials that I had around or could find at my local hardware
store, so you should be able to duplicate my efforts.

"These directions should work for any power connector that has the same
basic design, if you make adaptations for differing sizes. See the second
and third pictures in this step for a "before" portrait and a little bit
of terminology.

"This modification isn't destructive in any way, so it should be possible
to restore your laptop to its original condition just by removing the
pieces you've glued on. You can't use an unmodified power adapter once
you've modded your laptop, but fortunately it's pretty easy to make the
plug part, so you can make two or more spares.

"Remove the battery before working on your laptop, and unplug the power
cord.