[Noisebridge-discuss] Do we have a USB to Parallel (printer) port converter?

Hao hao at dorabot.com
Sat Jun 30 07:38:58 UTC 2012

Guys, I've been working on making fine PCBs with this CNC these days, and
haven't check mails as often. Sorry for that.
However, it's really nice to see you guys discuss this topic. I would give
up the idea of using simple USB-parallel converter to control a CNC
machine, though.

Bandit, thanks for the offer, and we can discuss this further when we met
in person next time. Last talk with you was a lot of fun :)

Jake, as Miloh said, I want to teach people how to make PCB with CNC in
toorcamp, and I'm thinking about borrowing the CNC in Noisebridge during
the toorcamp, if possible. (Miloh got another table top CNC in his
workspace that I might or might not be able to use, we'll see.) If I can
run linuxcnc(formerly EMC2) on a laptop, that would save some space during
the trip.

Also, I still working on how to run linuxcnc under simulation on my laptop
(Ubuntu12.04 Precise), so that I can tweak gcode without working on the
slower PC that attached to MAXNC. I would appreciate any help with this.

Jfoote, as Jake said, this machine is in good condition now. I wrapped
the cellophane
over the machine after the dust incident, Nima have also sponsored a set of
collets as well as Miloh, and Jonathon Toomim have provided a 60 degree V-bit
and a 45 degree V-bit. I've made a pretty good PCB (only with front gerber
though, due to lacking of time) on my first try with the 60 degree V-bit.
See attached jpg. Please ignore the wide track.

And I just found Poul-Henning Kamp had done an amazing job in PCB milling,
with hight probe <http://phk.freebsd.dk/CncPcb/>. He managed to make a 1
mil track <http://phk.freebsd.dk/CncPcb/calibrate.html>. Although his code
is for the Eagle plug-in Pcb-gcode, I'm working on turning it to fit
general gcode generator pcb2gcode. I'm positive on that  we can make pcb
boards which mounts 48+ pins smd chips with table top CNC machine.