[Noisebridge-discuss] [Rack] network down this afternoon, an interesting guide for people who want to help when the network goes down

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Jun 5 20:40:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Ben Kochie <ben at nerp.net> wrote:
> We could easily separate some of the services off of the one NAT box.
>
> I've thought about setting up a synced virtual router on stallion using
> failoverd and vyatta's NAT state sync.
>
> It would also possibly make sense to put the local DHCP/DNS services on a
> separate instance from the NAT handling.  We can easily do this with some
> virtual machines on stallion.  Or we could move some of these services to
> minotaur.

I think there is some value to keeping all of the network functions on
something that is mounted to the "Wall-O-Tubes". This way, there is a
clear distinction as to what hardware is the bare-minimum necessary to
keep basic services working.

Perhaps we could:
 - add another soekris or atom board
 - Wire up some 2.4 Ghz APs to the W.O.T. (there is/was a 5 ghz one)
 - Setup all downstream distribution through that Juniper EX, setup
DHCP-based port security protections