[Noisebridge-discuss] FYI: Commercial Version of 3D printer

Dave Peacock dave.peacock at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 05:14:19 UTC 2012

Ooh, how did that test go?

I am currently evaluating options for a first 3d printer for a few of us to
use over here in Oakland. There are a lot of options to choose from, and it
seems with each option i hear several wildly diverging opinions.

Any opinions you folks would care to share? This will be the first time
we'll be diving into that world, tho generally pretty comfortable with
electronics and some hw/sw hacking. Primary goal is to end up with a
printer that actually prints things, tho we'll be happy if we can learn how
to build one in the process, Hoping to spend orders of man-weeks getting up
and running, not man-months. Prefer open-source style, but not limited to
-- looking to spend less than $1.5k. Haven't been super impressed with
FDM/ABS/PLA end results, but have only seen one resin-based one which looks
still to early to rely on it actually working in the end.

thanks in advance for any thoughts/advise/opinions you can share. Hope to
make it over there one of these days to chitchat in person

best
dave