[Noisebridge-discuss] About the missing robotic arm on wheel chair robot

Hao hao at dorabot.com
Tue Jun 12 03:56:57 UTC 2012

Well, one way to make the robot always under monitored is using a wireless
device (for example normal RF Serial ) to send out "safe" signal to the
robot. If the robot can't receive the safe signal, it stops. So somebody
who's working with the robot should wear this safety device and keep it on
during the work, and if the device is out of a certain range, or somebody
pushed the stop button on the device, or the device is out of battery, the
robot will stop. That's how willowgarage people deal with their PR2 robot.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Danny O'Brien <danny at spesh.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Gopiballava Flaherty
> <gopiballava at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 11, 2012, at 17:39, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> >
> >> The robot already has a safety mechanism.  You can't get it to move
> >> without a login and some knowledge of how the scripts work.
> >
> > That's good to know. At the time it want clear to me what was going on.
> >
> > That being said, the first problem I saw with the robot ramming somebody
> was caused by the operator simply not paying enough attention to where it
> was. The guy controlling it was hacking on some control related system and
> let the robot operate well outside of a distance that allowed him to see
> what was going on. I'm not really sure how you fix that sort of problem.
> >

> I would actually like to hack with someone on building a little
> autonomous shutdown sensor on MC Hawking. I am getting into robotics
> again and it seems like a nice self-contained task even for my
> notorious project lability (I am one of the several thousand who has
> expressed interest with Jake in doing stuff with Noisebridge's Most
> Dangerous Robot and then wandered off onto something else).
>
> I do not mind MC Hawking doing a little random property damage if
> pushed, but I would not like him squishing anyone sentient.
>
> d.
>

> d.

DORA = DORA Opensource Robotic Assistant
dorabot.com