[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping @ Noisebridge [drama]

Violette Blumen lillian.fleurs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 23:03:35 UTC 2012

I find it extremely insulting that anyone would suggest sleeping outside as
a better option than a Noisebridge couch. I don't believe the people who
suggested this have been outside at night in San Francisco to feel how cold
it can get, nor did they seem to have ruled out the fact that I likely
don't have the resources to get the proper gear needed to keep me warm
through these cold nights (I don't). On top of all that they failed to look
at a San Francisco ordinance known as sit/lie. Is it wise to suggest I
break a city *law* that could land me a hefty fine I most definitely can't
afford, over a hacker space *rule* that might get me woken up and/or have a
picture taken of me by a trollish toad. I think I'll take the latter, for
reasons stated here and prior. While Noisebridge certainly isn't a place I
ever plan to sleep at, it has happened in the past, occasionally
from accidentally nodding off while working on a project and occasionally
in such emergency situations like the other night.

This letter was a product of an emotional response to being degraded with
pejoratives and blinded by a flashing seizure-inducing LED light by
Jesse long after I had awoken from my slumber. My original intent with it
was simply to send it to him so that he may possibly have a little bit of
compassion for my situation, and rethink his approach to antagonizing me.
But then I remembered it was Jesse I was writing to and that the only thing
my letter would do would simply make me a target for further disrespect and
trolling. Instead, I let go of the much friendlier words I used in the
original draft for ones of a far more bitter tone. I then Cc'd it to the
noisebridge discuss, hoping that maybe I would get some compassion from
other members in the community and perhaps a helping hand. I did have a few
hands reach out to me with help, I got some realistic advice (IE not
sleeping outside only to get chewed up and spit out), and that compassion I
need to help me through these tough times. I'd like to thank all of those
who cared.

This wasn't initially a thread I made to discuss productive solutions to
the reoccurring sleeping problem here. However such discussions seem to be
the Noisebridge way and I  highly encourage further discussion to any sort
of solution that might help not only the problem of couch sleepers, but
also those who do the couch sleeping.

Thank you,
-Lillian Fleurs