[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping @ Noisebridge [drama]

Dennis Overbye dennisoverbye at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 02:06:54 UTC 2012

> I find it extremely insulting that anyone would suggest sleeping outside as
> a better option than a Noisebridge couch. I don't believe the people who
> suggested this have been outside at night in San Francisco to feel how cold
> it can get, nor did they seem to have ruled out the fact that I likely
> don't have the resources to get the proper gear needed to keep me warm
> through these cold nights (I don't). On top of all that they failed to look
> at a San Francisco ordinance known as sit/lie. Is it wise to suggest I
> break a city *law* that could land me a hefty fine I most definitely can't
> afford, over a hacker space *rule* that might get me woken up and/or have a
> picture taken of me by a trollish toad.  I think I'll take the latter, for
> reasons stated here and prior. While Noisebridge certainly isn't a place I
> ever plan to sleep at, it has happened in the past, occasionally
> from accidentally nodding off while working on a project and occasionally
> in such emergency situations like the other night.

I can't find a link to official San Francisco documentation about this, but
the poorly enforced Sit/Lie law is only in effect from 7am to 11pm.

NB only has a few rules:

- Be excellent to each other.
- Don't show up in the space with one hand in a duffel bag and threaten to kill everyone.
- Don't have TB.
- Don't sleep in 2169 Mission St, San Francisco CA
- Don't publically inform everyone you have no interest in technology(a.k.a 'hacking')
  while you hang out at a hackerspace 24 hours a day for the last 12 months.

Follow these simple rules and you'll succeed.