[Noisebridge-discuss] Do we have a USB to Parallel (printer) port converter?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Wed Jun 27 22:42:19 UTC 2012

It's also really nice to have the complete tool chain just for sake of
process.

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:28 PM, miloh <froggytoad at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 27, 2012 3:17 PM, "Jake" <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> >
> > Jonathan, please not the "why can't we have nice things" talk again!
> >
> > Yes, me and Jesse backed up the machine, Hao blew the dust out of it
> > recently, Alan has worked on it, I put a new monitor on it, Miloh bought
> > bag of collets for it.  It's fine and in great condition.  And there's a
> > fine dust cover on it, PLUS the machine itself is wrapped in cellophane.
> >
> > and don't say the machine was stolen unless you know for sure that the
> > person who took it KNEW it wasn't up for grabs, or that it somehow wound
> > up in a hack bin, who knows what happened to it.  If you need another
> > laptop for something, just ask on the list and several people will offer
> > you one out of their personal hoard stash.
> >
> > Hao, it's true that you can't run that CNC machine without a proper
> > parallel port.  I don't see why that's a problem, because there are
> plenty
> > of fancy desktop computers lying around with parallel ports on them.
> > Why would you want to use a laptop with that machine, with bits of
> sawdust
> > and metal shavings flying around everywhere?
> >

> I think this is my fault he's asking for a laptop to use the machine with
> so that he can be more portable and possibly go up to toor camp with a
> workshop in tow
>
> > -jake
> >
> > Jonathan Foote:
> > There was a  T40 thinkpad with a parallel port that I used as a backup
> > for the CNC machine, but it was stolen. :(
> >
> > On that note, someone has backed up the configuration files for the
> > MAXCNC right? If that machine bites it (not unlikely because someone
> > trashed the dust cover) all that (nontrivial) work on those files is
> > lost and the CNC will return to its former status as a boat anchor.
> >

> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:12 PM, Martin Bogomolni <martinbogo at
> > gmail.com> wrote:
> > > You -cannot- run any CNC machines with a USB->Parallel converter.
> > >
> > > You will never get the low latency you need, the timing, to make it
> > work.
> > >
> > > I guarantee it.
> > >
> > > If you don't have a PC with a serial port, buy a real PCI (or PCIe)
> > > Parallel port card.
> > >
> > > -M

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>