[Noisebridge-discuss] Potential misuse of the ultimate power, deleting the 85 page

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 09:53:50 UTC 2012

I'm one of the people who believed -- and still believes -- that a
Noisebridge forum would be an excellent thing. When the mail gets heavy on
this list, as it recently did for what seemed like a steady week or two --
the volume of mail is inappropriate for a mailing list, by comparison to
any other mailing list I've ever been on.

That being said, I find the list addictive & tend to read every single
message, even when I have vast piles of far more worthy tasks I should be
working on. Also, as I now know, there already is a forum, but nobody uses
it. (I suspect that's mainly due to humans being herd-minded & "creatures
of habit" though, rather than any shortcomings inherent in the forum). And
clearly the majority of people are find w/ the Discuss List - or maybe the
majority of Noisebridgers opt out of the Discuss List. (I've certainly
talked to more than a few who have done so, for the reasons described.) So
I gave in & decided to post with the best of 'em rather than be a naysayer.
I'm going to try to reel it in a bit. I started posting a lot when I left
the Mission & wasn't able to hang out @ NB frequently, feeling like posting
was my only way of maintaining a connection to the space. Now I'm moving
back to the hood, so it looks like I'll be able to maintain a regular
physical presence at the Bridge again.

85 page: never once been there. I can smell the negativity & hatefulness a
mile away. It's the dark side of the internet & I've seen enough of it to
last a lifetime. Irrelevant. I recently apologized to Cynthia in person for
my remarks on a thread someone else started a while back, because I'm
trying to unlearn antisocial behaviors & build bridges instead of burn
them.

On that note: I have a couple new creative projects / ideas to introduce in
the near future - one is an idea another hacker came up with & asked me to
help him organize for next January - it's an exciting prospect for me, and
reason to get it together & finally get my passport. Since I don't think
customs recognized the Hackerspace passports just yet....

Details soon to come....

Yr friendly neighborhood

Tiger