[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser engraver needs to go back in the DJ booth

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Fri Mar 16 21:05:53 UTC 2012

People are engraving and cutting particle board and plywood, which smokes a
ton, fills up the room, and is full of vaporized formaldehyde...

...so...yeah...fun shit

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Jeff Tchang <jeff.tchang at gmail.com> wrote:

> Did someone try to engrave ABS?
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Gian Pablo Villamil
> <gian.pablo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > I remember a lot of effort went into prepping that room for the laser.
> >

> > On Mar 14, 2012, at 9:32 PM, Corey McGuire <coreyfro at coreyfro.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > No, we should not put the Electron microscope in the DJ booth.  We should
> > not prioritize some prime real-estate for something few, if anyone, will
> > use.
> >
> > We NEED to put the laser engraver BACK in the DJ booth because we need to
> > put it in a room where the pollutants that escape it can easily be
> evacuated
> > outside, easily, with a huge array of fans.
> >
> > WHY?!?!?!?!?
> >
> > Because people will laser engrave shit in it that is POISONOUS!  We need
> > put the laser engraver someplace where we can control it's fumes.
> >
> > Not only that, we need to keep the ducting as short as possible to
> evacuate
> > smoke more quickly to improve cutting.  Smoke in the chamber means smoke
> in
> > the beam.  Smoke in the beam means diffused energy.  Diffused energy
> means
> > weak cutting.  This will also mean the optics will foul more quickly.
> >
> > I have told this to a bunch of people individually, but they are still
> > ignoring it.  So now I am making a stink...
> >
> > ...before idiots start stinking up Noisebridge with cyanide from laser
> > engraving ABS
> >
> > Please, don't be idiots.  Put...the laser...back.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>