[Noisebridge-discuss] l'art de la nourriture le piratage

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Mon Mar 26 16:40:27 UTC 2012

Have you TRIED Francisco's vinegar made out of PURELY BANANA?  It'll
TOTALLY root your mouth.

echo 1 | sudo tee /proc/glands/salivary > /dev/null
[sudo] password : MMMmmmmmmmmmMMMMmmmmmm...1976

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 3:02 AM, daravinne <daravinne at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok look, you guys.  The stove is getting hooked back up.  The kitchen
> is not being ripped out with a sledgehammer.  Time to gear up for some
> FOOD HACKI-
>
> Oh, wait, no, apparently someone is making sushi in the kitchen that
> they are not only refusing to share with the locals, but taking
> elsewhere to sell for $5-10 each. The hippies are lining up for the
> soup kitchen and suddenly no one knows what a trash bin is actually
> for.
>
> GUYS THIS IS NOT FOOD HACKING.  We have no internet-enabled coffee
> machines with their own webpages.  We have no smart vending machines
> that text someone when they are out of soda.  No fancy scales,
> fine-tuned sensors or ingredients with only unpronounceable chemistry
> names.  I saw liquid nitrogen ice cream ONCE.
>
> THIS IS FOOD HACKING:
>
> http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/03/23/enzymatic-peeling-hell-yes/
> Removing citrus pith with enzyme mixtures for perfect, obscenely
> creepy looking segments?  Sign me up!
>
> http://discovermagazine.com/2006/feb/cooking-for-eggheads/  Using
> carefully controlled temperatures to only unroll specific egg white
> proteins and finely control the texture and hardening of an egg white?
>  Sounds like science to me!
>

> http://blog.khymos.org/2012/01/19/recreational-kitchen-mathematics-cookie-tessellations/
>  Okay, you're not hacking the actual food, but it's math, applied to
> solve a problem, AND you get cookies at the end.
>

> http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-01/cooking-sous-vide-inexpensive-diy-way
> Make your own DIY sous vide thingamabob! We have all the sensors,
> tools, solder and parts RIGHT OVER THERE.  And then you get tasty,
> tasty meat to wave at the vegans.  Oh, that article doesn't really
> have enough science of the actual food, here you go:
> http://blog.khymos.org/2011/04/01/tfp-2011-sous-vide-master-class-part-2/
> let's talk about specific temperatures, Maillard flavors, hydrolysis
> of connective tissues.....
>
> http://blog.khymos.org/2011/01/30/diy-mineral-water/ Why don't we even
> have a straight up water carbonater?  Is even that going to get made
> into a robot?
>
> I flailed around on the internet for like 10 entire minutes and found
> all the above and more.  It's really embarrassingly easy to find
> interesting yet accessible molecular gastronomy material and great
> ideas for classes, projects, learning sessions, themed dinners,
> whatever the hell you want.  Hell, you could even reverse-engineer
> food like that one guy did with the Shake Shack burger (do any of you
> leftcoasters even know what a Shake Shack is?).  Instead we have a
> hippie-infested soup kitchen hiding behind a bunch of printers that
> never work.  I honestly don't have anything against mushrooms or
> fermented edibles on principle, but when that's the apex of
> Noisebridge's culinary accomplishments, that's kind of sad.  And I'd
> [...]

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>