[Noisebridge-discuss] Laptop battery stolen / root login for public terminal?

Neil Golden neilgolden at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 22:06:16 UTC 2012

Hi all,

My name is Neil, I am a somewhat frequent visitor in Noisebridge. After
discussing it with a few people, it was suggested that I post to the
mailing list. Last Wednesday I left my netbook unattended in the kitchen
(it was playing classical music while I cooked some rice). I stepped
downstairs to smoke a cigarette, and when I came back to the kitchen the
laptop (netbook) was powered down and I discovered that the battery was
gone; someone removed it while I was outside - and I was outside for fewer
than ten minutes (closer to six or seven).

I'm not writing to pursue the matter, simply to publicly state that it
occurred to make the space aware of the theft. (they're cheap to replace,
I'm replacing it later this week. That's life :P)

In the meantime, I was hoping to do some coding on the public linux
terminal I'm on now (the one tucked away at one end of the member's
shelves). In order to do the programming I'd like, I need to install a few
packages; I was wondering if anyone knows the root password to this
machine? As I understand it, this machine is "hackable" inasmuch as no one
really cares what's done with it (as long as it still functions as a
terminal). So, if anyone can provide me with the name of someone who knows
the root login, I can ask them in person or whatever - I just need to
install some libraries and an interpreter.

Thank you so much! Peace,

Neil Golden