[Noisebridge-discuss] metatronics - using light instead electricity

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Mar 2 10:12:47 UTC 2012

The "meta" in "metatronics" refers to metamaterials, the
relatively new field of research where nanoscale patterns and structures
embedded in materials allow them to manipulate waves in ways that were
previously impossible. Here, the cross-sections of the nanorods and the
gaps between them form a pattern that replicates the function of
resistors, inductors and capacitors, three of the most basic circuit
elements, but in optical wavelengths.
"If we have the optical version of those lumped elements in our
repertoire, we can actually make designs similar to what we do in
electronics but now for operation with light," Engheta said. "We can build
a circuit with light."

http://v2.decipherinc.com/survey/skype/sky11004b?co=us&source=w9iF4yJFJD