[Noisebridge-discuss] On a more serious note: a personal statement to NB Discuss

t l tom7879 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 09:03:32 UTC 2012

Hi Justin,

I haven't read many of these notorious posts of yours, but let me
thank you for this one. It shows a willingness to examine oneself in
relation to the NB common good. This is a helpful example for us as we
seek unity instead of division.

I've searched for the Feb. discussion on hostile behavior for what I
wanted to say, but this is the most recent post on NB conflict. So
I'll post here:

Recently, I overheard a man make virulently homophobic statements at
NB. He made many anti-gay comments, and he expressed frustration and
rage. I was under a table fixing a connection, as he finished his
rant, and he never saw me. He left after a while.

I hadn't seen him around before. The next day, I saw him again. He was
keeping a low profile and nobody seemed to notice him. I might not
have either, if I hadn't heard what I heard.

Is he a spy planning some kind of hate crime? Hiding his best sheets
and hood for when he's ready to spring his trap on some unsuspecting
church, clinic, or innocent group of people? Was he drunk and just
mouthing off nonsense? Who's to say?

This is sad but not surprising. The climate of intolerance has
skyrocketed at NB ever since we began "coming down" on Occupiers,
stereotyping them as homeless (rather than cooperating with them as
activists), insulting them, and threatening them. Maybe word's gotten
out to some places that we don't like Occupy, because intolerance
attracts hate, and people who hate are coming here to check us out. To
see how we can help them spread it around.

Intolerance against the less fortunate, pushing Occupiers around,
bullying on our forums, and increased denial of access, all make for a
crummy social and work environment for your average NBer. Indeed, if
someone wanted to help NB rip itself apart, these are just the kind of
tactics they'd employ: spreading fear and denying access. anti-Occupy
crusaders turn people off at least as much as the homeless do, if not
more.

It isn't easy to tolerate diversity, or those whose understanding
doesn't seem to match our own. But we must tolerate it and projects
like Occupy. The real Occupiers aren't lazy or just out for a handout.
They're working to make things better for themselves and everyone else
by demanding change from the system that keeps so many down.

They want to stop the hate and increase access for the people -
exactly what NB believes in. Some people want to hate on Occupy,
others are hating on gays, and that's "doing their thing."

We believe in tolerance, welcoming diversity, and increased access.
Let us do our thing too.

In solidarity,

Tom L.