[Noisebridge-discuss] Frontend Web Development, Monday 8pm: Progressive Enhancement and Accessibility

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 02:18:21 UTC 2012

For tomorrow's class, we'll be talking about progressive enhancement - a
practice where websites are created in a layered way that makes them
accessible and cross-browser friendly. We've touched on these concepts
throughout the whole class, but on Monday we'll focus on why they're
important, and what could happen if you DON'T adhere to them.

As part of the class, we'll use a new Chrome extension called ChromeVox,
which is a free screen reader for the web. We'll also be using virtual
machines to run older versions of Internet Explorer on my Mac.

The class starts at 8pm and goes until 10pm!

Newcomers are always welcome! If you're new, please arrive at 7:30pm when I
will try my best to teach you what you need to know to understand the rest
of the lesson.

As always, this class and the space in which it's taught is entirely free
to attend. Please bring a laptop. Read all the details here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Frontend_Web_Development

For those of you wondering, this is the penultimate class in my "series,"
unless someone suggests more topics. Next week's class will be about web
frameworks, then we'll probably have a special guest to talk about website
security, and then we'll go back to the beginning of my "syllabus." This
means it's a good time to start telling your friends about this class, as
we'll probably be starting over at the beginning of April!

Jeffrey