[Noisebridge-discuss] Home automation

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 02:25:06 UTC 2012

I recently moved into a new apartment. I set up some traverse rods for draperies, and now I want to automate them.

Somewhat inspired by JWZ - http://www.jwz.org/curtain/ - I bought the Add-a-Motor 80, which can open and close curtains.
http://www.add-a-motor.com/Add-a-Motor%20Model%2080%20Remote%20control%20system.htm

Unlike JWZ, though, I'm uninterested in creating an Arduino-based powering solution, and would much prefer to go with a home automation system that's already on the market. I've done some Amazon scouring for X10 (and Insteon) components, but I'm not sure what the right choice is.

Ideally, I'd like to control the blinds via infrared - failing that, a wall switch that can send a powering signal to the motor. Does anyone have any experience with this? Suggested components? Stuff to stay away from? I'd like to keep my budget low, if possible.

Thanks for any advice you can spare!
Jeffrey