[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Web-App Options - Which would you prefer?

Marc Juul marcjc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 01:51:36 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM,  <joey at eproject-inc.com> wrote:

> A gamified To-Do list (people are rewarded in a creative way for checking
> things off a task list)
> A Forum - a general place for suggestions, conversations, and networking
> Interest Matchmaking (meet people to teach, be taught, or collaborate with)

Well, I feel like we already have a mailing-list and a wiki, so I
don't see the point in a forum.
Interest matchmaking might be fun, but maybe just making a wiki-page
where people add interests and add themselves under those interests
would serve just as well (I'm sure you could make a fancier solution
in Python though).
To-Do list? Not sure what a to-do list app would do that a wiki can't?

Here's another idea. Just throwing it out there.

Labitat (Copenhagen hackerspace) has an interesting system called Labitrack.
It's a system for tagging all items in the space with QR-code stickers
(as long as the item is big enough for a sticker). Each sticker has
the human readable title, short description, ID and a set of icons +
of course the QR code. Examples of icons can be "on loan (not property
of hackerspace)", "do not hack", "please get training before using",
etc.

An example can be seen here:

  https://labitat.dk/w/images/0/07/UV_Light_BOX.jpg

One of the main purposes of these stickers is to allow anyone to
organize / clean up, and still ensure that items go to their
designated storage locations. Ideally you should be able to scan any
item and find out where the item belongs. The QR code links to a page
on the wiki with information about the item and there is a wiki
template that can be filled out for each item. Example:

  https://labitat.dk/wiki/HP_54600B_100Mhz_Oscilloscope

The Labitrack system is implemented as a small Python script with a
simple GUI that runs on a dedicated computer with a cheap
sticker-printer attached.

It has the nice benefit that anyone can search the wiki and check if
the hackerspace has a specific book / piece of equipment / hacker that
stayed still long enough to be tagged as inventory.

Maybe this would be something the Python group can implement and/or
adapt from the Labitrack code?

--
Marc Juul