[Noisebridge-discuss] PsychedelicSF

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 02:05:30 UTC 2012

On Feb 29, 2012, at 18:45, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com> wrote:

> If pharma drugs are more harmful than psychadelics,

Are there psychedelics that are harmful? Or, are there harmful drugs that produce similar effects? Maybe we've just stopped using the ones that killed people.

> and psychadelics produce the same results as pharma drugs, and are safe,

Do they? That's an open question I think. I hope it's true. I thought this was only considered likely for a limited range of psychiatric conditions.

> why do new drugs continually get approved for depression while old skool psychadelics don't hit the market as a cheap generic alternative?

You can't have people actually enjoying themselves can you? I wouldn't be surprised if drug companies lobbied against psychedelics but I don't think that they need to. The prejudice against pleasurable drugs and the tendency to think of drugs as doing only one thing is IMHO enough on its own.