[Noisebridge-discuss] Orphaned event: Intro to assembly language on Linux?

jim jim at systemateka.com
Sat Mar 3 04:21:58 UTC 2012

    Not orphaned yet.

background:
    On Tuesday afternoons in Turing, Robert teaches SQL
from 4:30 to 6 PM (nominally); I'm usually there for his
class as are a few others who've kind of developed a
Tuesday-afternoon-learn-programming community (from 3
to 4:30 PM is BASH shell scripts time, a class, not a
study group).
    At 6 PM the claim to the room goes to the C and ass'y
group. Robert usually continues whatever he's teaching
for a while. A couple of months ago by 6 PM we'd already
have been into the C and/or ass'y stuff.
    I make it a point to be in Turing at 6 PM on Tuesdays
in case anyone comes in with interest in the C and assy
stuff. There have been expressions of interest, just not
in Turing at 6 PM lately.

about:
    I can teach the fundamentals of C pretty well for
people with some programming or technical background but
don't know C. I cannot teach assembler well, so I've
branded that time as a study group, not a class, hoping
expectations are lowered and we can share figuring it out.

    As to C, so far, in truth, it's been a class, with me
going blah blah and others listening and me trying not
talk too much. I make sure to say "symbol table" in the
first class so's to bring attention to the design of a
compiler. I tend to say "token" a fair amount, too.
    We got past pointers. We did not get bogged down
exercising every last operator. We spent a fair amount of
time looking at C code as expressions (pretty much, a C
statement can be tho't of as an expression with a statement
terminator). We didn't finish the todo list manager program,
but that's because we got bogged down in alternate designs,
which is a good thing. I'd hoped to cover typedef struct
but we didn't quite make that--almost.

    As to assembler, generally the plan was to exercise the
most commonly used Linux kernel calls along with the most
commonly used mnemonic CPU instructions and get an
introduction to the use of nasm and its directives so's to
provide a foundation for anyone who wants to get good at
some part of that stuff.
    we got a little start (with a lot of links). We
developed one or two little programs that read and write
stdio. The plan was next to write a program that converts
between ASCII and int values and do basic arithmetic.

    We found that combining assembler with C worked--each
can help understanding of the other.
    I liked it.