[Noisebridge-discuss] Diaspora.noisebridge.net

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 10:31:48 UTC 2012

On Mar 30, 2012, at 4:37 PM, Corey McGuire wrote:

> Why I am interested is because I am a dad, I love being a dad, and
> I used
> Facebook as a tool to post pictures of my kid, story's about him,
> movies,
> etc.  I liked making a time capsule for him, hopefully something
> he'd enjoy
> reading in the future...
>
> ...I had a profile for him...had... Then in got deleted because
> facebook
> didn't think a 3 year old should be using it...
>
> So... who would like to talk more about this?

Lesson number one:  Posting is not storing.  If you care about
something, keep a copy under your control.

Lesson number two:  Don't rely on 'free' services, since they're not
there to do you a favor.[1]  If you have something to say, why not
create a Web page?[2]

I strongly recommend viewing Eben Moglen's talk "Freedom in the Cloud".

Josh

[1] Granted, I'm hypocritically using a Gmail account.

[2] Actually, I'm of the opinion that the entire premise of the Web
needs to be reexamined and a new system built to replace it.