[Noisebridge-discuss] I was thinking about TSA's logic about throwing away liquids...

Gopiballava Flaherty gopiballava at gmail.com
Mon May 14 17:59:29 UTC 2012

There are trash cans in the airport all ready. Securing the trash cans at screening areas wouldn't do a whole lot.

The claimed concern is somebody assembling something from various chemicals and adding a trigger. If you catch them before they've finished, it won't be ready.

Many explosives are very volatile and easy to trigger. Hence the stories about bombers blowing themselves up in apartments.

I'm not a fan of the TSA at all, but given the supposed threat model this doesn't sound unreasonable.

That being said, I am surprised that it seems like no non-TSA experts have come out and said 'yes, liquids can pose the threats the TSA claims'. That would do a lot to convince me that the threat really exists.

(Also: yes, multiple people could bring liquids and combine them. But: it's probably hard to get lots of suicide bombers without risking recruiting an informant, and if you need 10 per plane, that's better than 1 per plane since these sorts of people appear to be in short supply. (People willing to ask others to commit suicide seem to be in infinite supply of course))

Thanks,

gopi at iPhone