[Noisebridge-discuss] membership rosta

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Fri May 18 22:22:56 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 3:09 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> Personally I think this is not that beneficial of an idea. Creating a list
> would just give people more of a foot hold to act pertinacious about being a
> member. A few hack spaces I've been to really had this line drawn between
> the first class citizens of membership and second class guests. It sort of
> gives this self entitled right to things over others (when really members
> aren't much different from anyone else here at Noisebridge), simply because
> there's a list exclusively containing the names of a certain type of person.
>
> I like walking into Noisebridge and not seeing people doing fun and exciting
> things in the space as either a "member" or not. I like just having a
> default label for everyone as excellent hacker.

I think this is a good description of one of the arguments against it.
I wanted someone to spell this out a bit more clearly, because it's
useful to eke out these things.

Actually, about the only reason I can think of for doing it, is a
small weirdness that I've only recently noticed, which is while we
*say* that consensed members have only one power to block, they've
also these days been considered the only people who can sponsor
somebody for membership, and it can be tricky to discover who might
sponsor you. Maybe just something on the form that says (if you'd like
to find suggestions for who to sponsor you, mail noisebridge-discuss
might do it).

Thanks for replying!

d.