[Noisebridge-discuss] Shameless Frantisek Impersonation (Re: LED Calculations help)

jim jim at systemateka.com
Mon May 21 22:04:20 UTC 2012

    Good advice! Thanks.
    I believe that no LED works on less than
1.5+ volts (1.7VDC comes to mind), and generally
LEDs turn on at about 5mA and get brighter as
the current increases until they fry. I believe
they fry open not shorted and that any LED ought
to take at least 20mA without frying.
    If the things are scarce, get a lab supply
that measures both voltage and current and start
with 1.5V and see what the current is and judge
the brightness; raise the voltage until 10mA
current flows and judge the brightness; raise
current to 15mA and judge; go as high as 20mA
current and hope that's bright enough. 25mA is
in the risky area.
    Note that each LED may have a distinct ratio
of current to brightness; if so, that argues for
a separate current limiting resistor for each
LED (or for the outlying cases).