[Noisebridge-discuss] mod-able games for programming class?

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Wed May 9 01:47:41 UTC 2012

On another note, I am thinking of doing a "programming for noobs" class
sometime later this year.  I want it to be engaging and accessible to
people who don't have the foggiest of what a loop or if statement is.  I'm
basically thinking of using a game platform that is somehow easily mod-able
for this purpose, so people can get immediate feedback and enjoyment.
Anyone have any suggestions towards this?  My constraints are:

1) the game should be playable off of Mac, PC, and preferably linux as
well, though I'll (reluctantly) drop the last req
2) ideally it would be appealing across genders and age groups
3) the mod language and environment would ideally be something like python
or javascript, and has a low overhead for getting the environment setup (in
other words, no C++ or hard to setup java compilation)...