[Noisebridge-discuss] how do you install linux on a macbook?

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Nov 20 01:44:21 UTC 2012

I have been trying for days to get my black macbook 2.1 (whatever that
means) to boot linux from a USB stick.  My preferred installation is Linux
Mint Cinnamon and i have a Core 2 Duo CPU so i have been trying to do
64-bit installation.

It hasn't worked.  My computer has rEFIt already installed on it so it
totally recognizes USB sticks when it boots, but if i choose them it fails
with various messages.  The farthest i got had something to do with
/boot/efi/elilo.efi and elilo.conf but i couldn't figure out what to put
in elilo.conf and it shouldn't be this hard anyway should it?

i don't have an internal optical disc right now but i tried a stock linux
boot DVD in an external (firewire) drive and the same thing happened as
with the USB stick - rEFIt sees it but if i choose that volume to boot
from, it errors out with some crap.

If you have any experience with this process please let me know.  I'm
trying to re-up my computer getting nowhere.

-jake