[Noisebridge-discuss] Open letter from Oshan Cook

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 21:28:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Martin Bogomolni <martinbogo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Since the Huffington Post, NY Times, and Omshan's own letter are light
> on what the actual charge was in the first place.  The crime was
> posession and intention to distribute 3 pounds of MDMA.  (~$18,000/lb)
>
> The US gov archive of the undercover investigation and arrest here:
>

> http://ia600807.us.archive.org/5/items/gov.uscourts.cand.227253/gov.uscourts.cand.227253.1.0.pdf
>
> Pfeh .. big waste of taxpayer money.   Putting Oshan in jail for 15
> years is a waste of almost half a million tax dollars.
>
> -M

Sure. If "taxpayer money" is the element that makes you care, go with that.
Personally I'm more concerned with the bias of the judge (I attended one
day of the trial), the fact that a lifelong humanitarian is going to *prison
*(not jail), & the blatant wrongness & insanity (not too strong a word) of
the drug laws in this country. The War on Drugs has been going strong for
most of my adult life, but this is the first time it has affected me
closely enough to really comprehend the carnage it has caused & continues
to cause in peoples' lives. I've known Oshan for 15 years, since my
sophomore year of college. He is not, in my opinion, someone who should be
going to prison. The powers that be are targeting community leaders of the
resistance in an organized effort. They are not above deception,
fabricating evidence, or colluding with corrupt or biased judges.

Oshan is the man's name. Om Shan is the name of the teahouse.

+11+

--
*You should read my diaries after I die—I talk about you a lot in there.*