[Noisebridge-discuss] how do you install linux on a macbook?

Brink Of Complexity brink.0x3f at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 01:12:59 UTC 2012

Jake,

Maybe this helps...

Here's the boot order:

1. EFI-native/rEFIt/etc:

The native/similar bootloader on the Mac checks for supported devices to
boot...
Your media must be formatted with a GUID partition table (GPT) to boot on
the Mac.  If it is, it will probably show up on this screen. If it isn't,
it probably won't. (that goes for both rEFIt or the native
hold-down-C-when-booting menu)

Yours is probably good in the GPT department since you could select it
before getting errors.

Once a boot device has been selected at that stage, the computer proceeds
to the device for further boot instructions...

2. Boot loader on the media.

Usually included with Linux distros. It looks like you've got a lilo (linux
loader) variant called elilo, for systems with EFI.  Grub is an alternative
with the same function.  These boot loaders require configuration files
that list locations and options for the available operating system kernels
to boot.   From the vague description of errors, it sounds like you might
want to have a look at that file, and make sure it lists the appropriate
location to boot the kernel from.

Specifically, probably a line like "image=..." or "root=/dev/sdxx" in
elilo.conf has the wrong kernel image or device location listed.

If you have some error like "elilo.conf not found", and yet it's obviously
there, then you might have a filesystem access issue instead.

If it's any consolation, I had similar (and worse) hair-pulling boot issues
getting Ubuntu to install on my MacBook Pro, despite my decade of
professional linux systems experience.  I eventually got it installed, and
when it reared the same problems again randomly at a random later time... I
decided to get a ThinkPad.

This[1] is a pretty good resource for elilo, though even that author
acknowledges mysterious problems with getting his Mac to boot.

- Brink.

[0] http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343
[1] http://www.rodsbooks.com/efi-bootloaders/elilo.html