[Noisebridge-discuss] Buying domain name without a credit card?

Casey Callendrello c1 at caseyc.net
Tue Nov 27 02:32:29 UTC 2012

Have you ever purchased anything with a credit card? Then your credit
card number has certainly been transmitted over the Internet. Even if
you've never typed it in to a browser, the credit card machines used at
local merchants have to talk to the processing network somehow. Ever
used Square?

The largest breach of credit cards ever, at TJ Maxx [1], affected mostly
customers who visited retail stores. Hackers parked in the parking lot
and connected to the cash registers via WiFi. So, to prevent your credit
card from being stolen, be sure to only visit merchants without a cash
register.

Do you ever pay at a restaurant with a credit card? Your credit card
leaves your sight, often for minutes at a time. The waiter can easily
write down all the details while s/he has the card. But, like Ben said,
you're not liable for fraudulent purchases, so why stress about it?

tl;dr: keeping your credit card "off the internet" is meaningless.

--Casey