[Noisebridge-discuss] New Android app: Noisegate

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 18:30:04 UTC 2012

I'm creating an Android app to open the gate.

There is already an Android app that can do this, but I'm
dissatisfied with it for a number of reasons, and my use case really
does only call for opening the gate and nothing else.  Here are my
thoughts on the new app:

It's called Noisegate.  I'm reusing the Noisebridge app icon from the
existing Noisebridge app.

The app has a single main screen with a slider control.  That lets
you open the gate with one touch (once the app is open) with minimal
risk of accidental triggering.  There will be at least one info
screen and some links to the Web as well.

It uses the same Web service on pony as the existing Noisebridge app,
with the same key of "MobileBridge".  I'd especially like to know if
people think it should use a different key, or something more
sophisticated than a single hard-coded value.  Though we should
probably punt this as needless complexity until we start having an
issue with undesired visitors using smartphones for entry, which
doesn't seem a likely scenario for now.  On the other hand, buzzing
the gate remotely (either from malice or mere curiosity) is a
potential issue we may want to guard against.

I'd like to hear your feedback.  Let me know what you'd like to see
in this app.

Josh