[Noisebridge-discuss] thefts at noisebridge / access policy

Jake jake at spaz.org
Fri Oct 19 03:14:44 UTC 2012

stuff continues to be stolen from noisebridge at an alarming rate.

this used to be a place where we could have nice things, and now instead
it's a place where theives can come when they want a laptop, a cordless
drill, an R/C helicopter.

Yeah, a helicopter.  Hao was making a "mind controlled helicopter" project
using an R/C helicopter he bought, and it was on his member shelf in the
box a couple of days ago.

I guess someone thought it was free for the taking.

Also, we have no hand drills anymore.  Well, we have a few broken no-name
drills with no battery or charger, but we used to have a nice DeWalt and a
nice Bosch.  All gone.  Probably the reciprocating saw too.  If it's not
nailed down, i guess it's free for the taking?

Noisebridge is currently open to the public, in the sense that anyone can
walk in without being vetted, and stay all night after others have to go
home.

I think we should change that, so that only people with valid codes can
open the door (except by going down the steps and physically opening it)

I'm sure Rayc will gladly storm down the steps 30 times an hour to open it
for whoever is there, but at least everyone else will learn discretion,
and people who don't know how to get a door code will be out of the
business of letting people in the front door.

Too harsh?  Should we keep access loose?  Discuss.

-jake