[Noisebridge-discuss] Preventing Hacker Rape Culture

Tom Longson (nym) tomlong at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 23:56:19 UTC 2012

Defcon has been having issues with what I can only describe as "Rape Culture".

  "Nothing could have prepared me for the onslaught of bad behavior I
experienced.
  Like the man who drunkenly tried to lick my shoulder tattoo. Like
the man who grabbed
  my hips while I was waiting for a drink at the EFF party. Like the
man who tried to get
  me to show him my tits so he could punch a hole in a card that, when
filled, would
  net him a favor from one of the official security staff."

--http://singlevoice.net/2012/07/12/sexism-redyellow-cards-at-defcon/

Many people believe is that this is not a just a Defcon problem, but a
larger problem that our tech community is still coming to terms with.
We have the opportunity right now to confront this awful social issue,
in the heart of San Francisco's hacker community.

My question to you is, what can we do as a community to prevent "rape
culture" at Noisebridge?

Respectfully,
nym