[Noisebridge-discuss] A test of Excellence

Mitchel McAllister xonimmortal at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 13 18:56:28 UTC 2012

Are you saying that the effect of observing the behavior will make people behave better? As much as I would like to see that happen, my experiences in the space of late would suggest the opposite.

It seems that the more a person knows they are being observed, the worse their behavior becomes. They become louder, more argumentative, more disruptive, less productive, etc. They are more likely to talk over other people, interrupt other people, drop materials or bang materials together... I call it the "audience effect", some friends have called it the "reality show effect" - the larger the audience, the worse you are allowed to behave, so the ratings go up.

- Reverend Mik
This signature makes you angry.