[Noisebridge-discuss] DARPA funding hackerspaces? (article)

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 18:31:38 UTC 2012

Worrying never does anyone any good.

But there are many issues involved with accepting funding sources for your (or anyone's) projects.  People can behave differently(sometimes quite differently) when funding is available or when funding is threatened.

The article linked to here seems to state that DARPA funding is part of the inevitable collapse of the US empire.  Whether this is the case, or not, is perhaps less important than how accepting DARPA funding will affect the projects we take on, and/or the projects we don't take on -- and/or how we alter the projects we take on (and/or drop) in order to make it more likely to get funding (or more funding).

Consider this:  if funding sources did not matter, then it would not matter if a politician accepted a "gift" from a powerful organization (or powerful person).

In any case, it is important for each of us to discuss the important and complex issues involved here.  And it is important for people to make conscious, informed choices in this matter (rather than just taking DARPA money because it is available).

There *are* strings attached, even if there are no stated strings attached.

Best,
Mitch.