[Noisebridge-discuss] Seeking help with VoIP softphone package (Yate)

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Oct 21 07:14:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Eric W. Rasmussen <ewr at majortek.com> wrote:
> I have capability of both networks. They are spotty at best. The complaints
> have been widespread for months

There have been a few isolated incidents that I've heard of and dealt
with, but this is the first I'm hearing of widespread complaints.
Emails to rack at lists are a good way to raise technically-savvy
operators of the network, however we try and keep the technical
signal-to-noise ratio as high as possible.

> There is only one or two CAT5's available
> in the Hackerspace. None available in Turing, where I teach my class. None
> in the Church.

Yeah, it's true that there are far too few cables run throughout the space.
Unfortunately Cat5 and termination points aren't cheap, and there
aren't a lot of great mounting spaces for managed breakout switches.
I'm all for working to fix this though.

I suggest plugging in, since that will eliminate the wireless portion.
If plugging in helps your connectivity, then it's probably just a
wireless issue. If not, then there's probably a bigger problem.

The easiest way to jack in if there's not a cable handy is to cable up
to the Dell 48-port switch (switch1.noise) in the closet where most of
the runs terminate.
If there's not a free port, I think it's probably safe to temporarily
make use of a port where the link light is not on. Placing a cable
back in if you've removed it is good form.

> Is this a new project?

Is what a new project?

--j