[Noisebridge-discuss] Donation box missing

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 07:51:05 UTC 2012

On Oct 20, 2012, at 3:50 PM, Leif Ryge wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:32:24PM -0700, Josh Juran wrote:
>> On Oct 19, 2012, at 4:27 PM, Eric W. Rasmussen wrote:
>>
>>> OK. This is a huge problem now.
>>>
>>> I'll be in the space to tomorrow to do a security evaluation. I
>>> will then go to the hardware store to build cables the existing
>>> boxes and build new ones as needed. Locks will be added and keys
>>> will be given to select MEMBERS.
>>
>> I declare the "No locks at Noisebridge" social experiment to be
>> officially concluded.
>
> Huh? Didn't the missing box have a lock on it? Perhaps if it
> hadn't, the
> thief might have taken its contents without taking the box itself.
> (The
> pink box without a lock is still there.)

So what?  A box that doesn't protect its contents isn't worth
stealing and provides no benefit to those who still have it, other
than keeping the money from falling on the floor or getting lost
under pamphlets, until such time as it gets stolen.  Any shoebox
serves that purpose.  A box that loses the money without getting
stolen is worthless.

The thief didn't steal the box to spite us for using an effective
lock.  The thief stole the money; the box was an implementation detail.

Josh