[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] I got groped at noisebridge at hackmeet

Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 05:37:08 UTC 2012

We could be more proactive.  Are you really telling me we could not have
done a significantly better job at preventing this?  I think we can and
should come up with a set of guidelines for events like hack meets using
the space.  Good thing I am not a member and I have no say in the way the
space runs.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Liz Henry <liz at bookmaniac.org> wrote:

> Ronald, I would argue that the fact that Noisebridge deals with its
> problems by airing them out in a transparent way, discussing the issues
> and responding to things in a non-centralized way, is exactly why we are
> a good and functional community.  Undesirable things happen everywhere,
> but they are often hushed up or covered up and nothing is done about the
> underlying problems.
>
> For example, kickbanning Patrick within 1 day of his harassing behavior
> was pretty amazing.  It was not fun, and the community was damaged by
> it, but the fact that someone behave badly wasn't something determined
> by our structure and wasn't really controllable. It is how we dealt with
> the problem that matters. Not everything about the process was great,
> but we were figuring out what to do was we went, in response to how
> events unfolded and how information spread throughout our community. I
> thought that it was, on the whole, a good response.
>
> If we as an organization never, ever called anyone out or held them
> responsible for crossing some sort of behavior line, then I would worry
> a lot more.
>
> So, Ronald, here I think you are conflating *having to deal with
> problems*, which every community has, with *how we respond to those
> problems*.  Can you really think of an organization which doesn't have
> conflict? We do a good portion of it in public.   While this makes some
> people label us as the drama-y hackerspace, actually, I bet the others
> have (and I KNOW some of them have) personal and political conflict that
> is kept more private.  That is not necessarily an unalloyed good.
>

> - Liz
>

> On 10/21/12 8:12 PM, Ronald Cotoni wrote:
> > To be honest, this incident and others that have happened in the past
> (the
> > patrick keys stuff, rob 2.0, theft of the donation box recently), it
> seems
> > that noisebridge needs a wake up call to the real world.  We have all
> these
> > things that happen that could have been avoided in hindsight.   I think
> > Noisebridge and it's members (I would be a member but I was blocked 1
> hour
> > before the 4th meeting), need to do something before Noisebridge is at
> risk
> > from some stupidity that happens in the space.
> >
> > At this point I hope someone does something that will close the space so
> we
> > can pull our collective heads out of our collective asses and make
> > Noisebridge the "excellent" space it needs to be.   This is the worst
> thing
> > I have ever said about noisebridge.   I feel really horrible but I would
> > feel worse if I told a friend to go there and something unexcelent
> happened
> > to them.   Fix yourself (sooner than later please).
> >

> --

Ronald Cotoni
Systems Engineer