[Noisebridge-discuss] I got groped at noisebridge at hackmeet

Tony Longshanks LeTigre anthonyletigre at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:31:24 UTC 2012

Susan + angry mob of villagers,

After giving it a night of thought, helped along by the "encouraging words"
of several friends & others, I've decided I need to make an apology to
Susan (foremost) along with everyone else for my posts  yesterday re: the
sexual assault incident. I know I've already said far too much so I'll keep
this brief, & afterwards I will gladly & completely remove myself from the
debate. I shouldn't have said anything about the matter since I wasn't
around when it occurred & had no conception of the human impact of what
happened. It was an incredibly insensitive, self-absorbed outburst from the
part of me that is.....all those ugly things, & more. I know most everyone
has a self-destructive component to their psyche; mine is an absolute
monster, & when it takes charge, as it did yesterday, there's really no
telling. I don't know why Noisebridge Discuss seems to feed, more often
than not, directly into the self-destructive zone for me, but I suppose
I've experienced that negative feedback loop enough times to be sure of the
result, & stop repeating the experiment. There was a time I hung out at
Noisebridge (physically) on an almost daily basis, & rarely if ever posted
to NB Discuss; now those proportions are reversed, & it's obviously not a
good balance. Not that Noisebridge "in the flesh" is all candy &
bunnyrabbits. Susan's experience the other day is a violent reminder of
that, & I hope those who consider themselves stewards of the space are able
to address that issue in a healing way & take part in implementing new
protocols to ensure it doesn't happen again (without restricting personal
freedoms more than absolutely necessary). I also hope the victim & those
around her will not be blinded by angry feelings or a need to attack &
blame the space as a whole for what happened. After all, Noisebridge has
problems because Noisebridge is us, & we have problems. From here on out,
I'm going to genuinely try — more than ever before — to keep *my* problems
to myself, & shut my fucking mouth about matters of which I am woefully &
damagingly ignorant.

Sorry. That's all.

Tony