[Noisebridge-discuss] Report from Toorcon

M. Elizabeth Scott beth at scanlime.org
Wed Oct 24 07:04:55 UTC 2012

Also of note: The badges this year are little CM1111 dev boards. This
is a little system-on-a-chip that combines an 8-bit CPU (8051 ISA),
USB device core, and a configurable sub-1GHz digital radio.

http://greatscottgadgets.com/tc14badge/

This isn't nearly as flexible as a full software defined radio, but
it's really cheap and simple and low-power, and it still has enough
flexibility to speak and listen to data using several different
modulation schemes and a couple frequency bands.

I knew about these chips prior to ToorCon, but the badges use a neat
firmware I hadn't heard of called RfCat which lets you play with the
radio via a USB interface and a fairly high-level Python library. So
now you can hack on radio signals (the ones compatible with this chip,
at least) without leaving the comfort of a high-level language running
on a full-size PC.

Hi David, was nice to meet you there :)

—beth