[Noisebridge-discuss] Frontend Web Development, Monday 8pm: Preprocessors

Jeffrey Carl Faden jeffreyatw at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:49:53 UTC 2012

Monday's class expands upon the topic of web frameworks by talking
about preprocessor languages - languages which compile into HTML, CSS,
or JS. We've taken a look at PHP and ERB, but we'll walk through
languages that look nothing like HTML (HAML), and languages that
compile into CSS (Less, Sass + Compass) and JS (CoffeeScript). These
languages can make your life much easier as they help keep you from
repeating yourself (DRY!).

Install a demo of LiveReload or CodeKit if you don't already have the
ability to set up Rails apps on your computer.

This will be the last class of this series. I'm going to take a week's
break and then start from scratch on 2012-09-24.

Join the Google+ Event to be notified of the video livestream:
https://plus.google.com/events/caoma73gg7u5tcb572fhj9gbh8c

--- The usual details follow below: ---

Learn HTML, CSS and JavaScript - and put them to good use! This class,
taught by Jeffrey Carl Faden, is aimed at beginners who are interested
in web development, as well as seasoned professionals looking to brush
up on the latest and greatest.

Frontend web development is all about making code that runs in the
browser (versus code that runs on the server, which happens to be the
topic of this week's class). There isn't a big focus on web design
(creating wireframes and mockups), but we do cover best practices for
turning these designs into beautiful code.

The class starts at 8pm and goes until 10pm! Plan to arrive EARLY, as
the class can fill up very fast. We will have a setup period starting
at 7:30pm.

As always, this class and the space in which it's taught are entirely
free to attend. Read all of the details here:
https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Frontend_Web_Development

Jeffrey