[Noisebridge-discuss] [sudoroom] FW: "OCCUPY" Actions Planned for Monday, September 17, 2012

rachel lyra hospodar rachelyra at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:32:09 UTC 2012

There's a really interesting slow-motion schism happening in the
movement right now between revolutionary approaches and more reformist
approaches.  The Sept 17th Occupy anniversary event is actually the
'reformist' camp within that movement, lots of old-school people doing
Seattle-WTO-style protesting.  Over this coming weekend, there is also
an event revisiting the Human Be-in which was so monumental in the
sixties [1].  http://humanbein.org/  Lots of folks from occupy and
elsewhere, hacking the commons and partying in the spirit of the Albany
Farm: sheet-mulching Golden Gate Park while teaching yoga and playing
free concerts.

I think it's interesting to note the choice that we have.  On one hand
there is 'protesting', trying to get a disinterested government to pay
attention and grant us our desires.  Sometimes this is used as a tool to
reach the public but they are reached, bro.  Popular opinion in America
is weighted heavily towards dissatisfaction, and people are eager for
alternatives.  So then, if the American People are eager for
alternatives, and we are proponents of do-ocracy...

Basically, it's time to get to work building the future already.

<3
R.

[1] The Human Be-In was an event in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park on
January 14, 1967. It was a prelude to San Francisco's Summer of Love,
which made the Haight-Ashbury district a symbol of American
counterculture and introduced the word "psychedelic" to suburbia. -wikipedia