[Noisebridge-discuss] Announcement: Linux/Unix Certification Group starting LPI

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Sun Sep 16 04:50:14 UTC 2012

Our Linux/Unix certification group has finished it's Berkeley certification
path. We are now starting over with a new path and are welcoming anyone
interested.

We are studying the LPI certification path. LPI is a Linux distro-agnostic
certification company (The Linux Professional Institute). There are three
levels of certification -- and there are eight tests total:

LPIC-1: Junior Level Linux Certification
        Exam: LPI 101
        Exam: LPI 102
LPIC-2: Advanced Linux Level Certification
        Exam: LPI 201
        Exam: LPI 202
LPIC-3: Senior Level Linux Certification
        Exam: LPI 301
        Exam: LPI 302
        Exam: LPI 303
        Exam: LPI 304

Although we just finished one program, we will be starting over with our
other colleagues to help them along as well. We believe that our Berkeley
Certification Work has at least qualified us for the Junior Level Linux
Certification and probably most of the Advanced Linux Level Certification.
We also believe we have qualified for at least some of the senior level
certification (for example; Exam 303 is Security based and we may pass that
exam now).

However, our short term goals are simply the following. Feel free to join
us for the first goal (and then drop off after that). Or, feel free to join
some of us who will probably march this one to all three certificates.

Short Term Goal

    All members of our study group Pass Exam LPI 101

Medium Term Goal

    All members of our study group obtain Junior Level Linux Certification

The beginning of this first level is pretty basic and we will not be
meeting in person (although I have no objection of meeting on Wed evenings
if anyone needs assistance).

To help us motivate each other, I have created a Google Doc. It contains a
chart of our current progress so we can see how we're doing against others
(and we can get a good swift kick to keep us motivated when we see others
in our group are making progress).

This document also contains a question pool. We make these questions up
ourselves as we study. It helps us study better by making questions (and I
encourage you to do so as well). It also helps our fellow members who are
trying to obtain this same goal.

I have included two such (beginning level) questions below. If you are
interested in this Google Doc, please contact me off list so that I can
invite you to the document (don't forget this is a publicly searchable
email list). I will also add you to the unixcert at lists.noisebridge.net list
so we can communicate without spamming Noisebridge Discuss.
*Sample Exam Questions101.1.1 Random Access Memory (RAM) is:

   1. volatile
   2. explosive
   3. non-volatile
   4. All of the above

101.1.2 BIOS stands for:

   1. Beginner Instruction-set for Operating Systems
   2. Basic Input Output System
   3. Better Integrated Operating System
   4. None of the above

*
Cheers,

Glen
--

"Pursue, keep up with, circle round and round your life as a dog does his
master's chase. Do what you love. Know your own bone; gnaw at it, bury it,

--Henry David Thoreau