[Noisebridge-discuss] Wanted: Soldering Gun

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 4 20:13:23 UTC 2012

> Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2012 18:50:58 -0700
> From: adi at hexapodia.org
> To: me at justinmorrison.net
> CC: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Wanted: Soldering Gun
>
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 02:40:47PM -0700, Justin Morrison wrote:
> > Anyone know where I can get a decent soldering gun in the city? The
> > RadioShack gun is crap. Would prefer a Weller
> >
> > http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weller-D650-Industrial-Soldering-Gun-300-200-Watts-120-Volt/16550708
>
> Just order it online, from Adafruit or Amazon or whatever. You can go
> get one in person at Jameco in Belmont (by choosing "pick up" as your
> shipping method after placing an order at jameco.com), but it's not
> worth the bother; the gas to get down there is more than the shipping
> charges.

I find the Radio Shack ones OK enough.  But my favorite soldering iron that you can get online is this one from MPJA.com:
http://www.mpja.com/8-Watt-Mini-Solder-Station/productinfo/16924+TL/
Only $12.95.
And, while you're at it, you can get a decent and cheap small wire cutter for $2.25:
http://www.mpja.com/PC-BOARD-FLUSH-CUTTERS/productinfo/16761+TL/
and a pound roll of really good solder for $24.95:
http://www.mpja.com/032in-Dia-60-40-Kester-Solder/productinfo/19101+TL/

Mitch.