[Noisebridge-discuss] High torque servos?

Corey McGuire coreyfro at coreyfro.com
Mon Sep 10 01:09:36 UTC 2012

I agree with your diagnosis, bum servo.  Feeding 6v to the servo should be
well within spec, though 5v is the nominal voltage.  Feeding more than 6v
may toast your servo.  The reason 5v is the "nominal" voltage is because a
5v battery source at full charge will likely have a 6v voltage.  A 6v
nominal voltage battery source may have a much higher voltage.

For instance, 4 NIMH cells (4.8v nominal, or 1.2v per cell) will have a
peak voltage of about 6v (1.5v per cell.)

However, 5 NIMH cells (6.0v nominal) will have a peak voltage of 7.5v, well
beyond the spec.

Be mindful of this...or...regulate your voltage somehow.  Be careful,
though.  Your voltage regulator might not output the current required.
This is why arrangements of many servos often have 4 cell NIMH packs to
isolated groups of servos, because it is easier to throw more batteries at
a problem than to throw more regulators at the problem.

There is also one other possible problem.  "Digital Servos" speak a mostly
compatible, higher resolution PWM.  This should....SHOULD...be 100%
compatible with lower resolution PWM........should...  It is visa versa
that tends to have problems ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW7pjTOQ-KY )
but I would not rule this out of your diagnosis.

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Tracy Jacobs <kinetical at comcast.net> wrote:

> Has anyone used servos from Phidgets before? I ordered some high
> torque servos from them:
> http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=3212_0
>
> but they don't seem to be compatible with my Arduino. Can anyone
> tell me what else I would need to make these servos work or suggest
> another high torque continuous rotation servo that would be compatible
> with the Arduino and the Arduino servo shield I already have? Thanks
> for your advice,
>
> Tracy
>  __._,_.___
>   Reply to sender<kinetical at comcast.net?subject=Re%3A%20High%20torque%20servos%3F>| Reply
> to group<SFmicrocontrollers at yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20High%20torque%20servos%3F>| Reply
> 1)
>  Recent Activity:

>    2

> Switch to: Text-Only<SFmicrocontrollers-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
> Daily Digest<SFmicrocontrollers-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>•
> of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
>    .

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler - Albert
Einstein <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein>
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo Da
Vinci<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_Da_Vinci>
Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there
is nothing left to take away - Antoine de Saint
Exupéry<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint_Exup%C3%A9ry>
Keep It Simple Stupid - Kelly
Johnson<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Johnson>