[Noisebridge-discuss] Dogs

Ryan Ruggles ryanlruggles at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 08:25:36 UTC 2012

This dog debate is great example of Parkinson's law of triviality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_Law_of_Triviality

Parkinson dramatizes his law of triviality with a committee's
deliberations on an "atomic reactor", contrasting it to deliberation
on a bicycle shed. As he put it, "The time spent on any item of the
agenda will be in inverse proportion to the sum involved." A reactor
is used because it is so vastly expensive and complicated that an
average person cannot understand it, so one assumes that those that
work on it understand it. On the other hand, everyone can visualize a
bicycle shed, so planning one can result in endless discussions
because everyone involved wants to add a touch and show personal
contribution.