[Noisebridge-discuss] 5v switching voltage relay recommendation

M. Elizabeth Scott beth at scanlime.org
Mon Sep 17 17:02:31 UTC 2012

I like All Electronics' selection of relays. Many of them are 5V or less:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/500/Relays/1.html

Some of them, like this reed relay, should be suitable for driving
directly from an AVR:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-495/5-VDC-DIP-REED-RELAY/1.html

That one has a 350 ohm coil, so at 5v it would draw 14 mA. So, I think
that's low enough that you can drive it without a transistor, but you
probably still want a reverse-biased diode to absorb the back-EMF when
it switches off, so you aren't totally relying just on the chip's
built-in clamping diodes.

Do note that these low-current relays can be really prone to getting
stuck. At least that's been my experience. I wouldn't use it for
anything safety-critical, for example.

—beth