[Noisebridge-discuss] [hackerspaces] New Member Vetting

Jake jake at spaz.org
Tue Sep 18 23:27:28 UTC 2012

I think that "pet" hardware should be encouraged more, in the sense that
people should share their unique skill sets with everyone by setting up
infrastructure that, at first, only they fully understand.  They may need
to maintain it themselves for a while, but hopefully others will catch on
and they will also improve the design to be more "foolproof".

My favorite example of this is the Enlarge-O-Scope, which was built from a
photographic enlarger, an old analog camera, and a monitor with
composite-video input.  It has not been broken yet (thankfully) and I
think a lot of people use it.  Carlos is in the process of making an even
better one with much higher resolution and the ability to snap pictures or
video through the network.  (Imagine being able to teach a surface-mount
soldering class where dozens of people can watch the soldering on their
own computer screen, in real time.)

Another example would me MC Hawking the robot wheelchair, which is
theoretically available for anyone to use/work with, but is pretty complex
and requires a bit of dedication to do anything useful with.  Also it has
a decent rate of entropy and can be very destructive.  But a few people,
mostly Hao, have really accomplished a lot with it.

(people interested in robotics can watch Hao and others speak about "The
Future is Robotics" tonight in SF at 6:30):
http://www.meetup.com/software/events/48562212/

-jake

Danny / O'brien	wrote:

One of the consequences of this is that people's "pet" hardware --
things which they regularly use, but not many other people -- can
struggle. That is why, I think, we have to emphasize to people that
bringing in their own equipment to "share" with others isn't going to
end well (they aren't around enough to maintain it, while no-one else
is going to fix your shit to your satisfactoin, even if they broke
it).