[Noisebridge-discuss] warp drive

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 13:59:48 UTC 2012

Andy, we know that Negative Energy states do exist and we have
indirect ways of measuring real, physical effects.

The most well known of these is the Casimir Effect.. In 1948 Dutch
physicist Hendrik B. G. Casimir showed that two uncharged parallel
metal plates alter the vacuum fluctuations in such a way as to attract
each other. The energy density between the plates was later calculated
to be negative. In effect, the plates reduce the fluctuations in the
gap between them; this creates negative energy and pressure, which
pulls the plates together. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_Effect )

I think in this particular article, they chose to use "negative energy
density" as a way of getting around saying "exotic matter".

-M